Mullingar Shamrocks

Founded 1953

Co. Westmeath

Senior Football Championship: Coralstown-Kinnegad 1-11 Mullingar Shamrocks 1-6

20200731 191907

Download our mobile app to hear more about Mullingar Shamrocks .

See More

Senior Football Championship: Coralstown-Kinnegad 1-11 Mullingar Shamrocks 1-6

It's not possible to dress this one up with any type of spin as Mullingar Shamrocks were outplayed by a younger, fitter and more determined Coralstown-Kinnegad team in this first round senior championship match. The Mullingar Shamrocks patient approach with plenty of lateral and back passes involved allowed Coralstown-Kinnegad plenty of time to defend in depth, turnovers were frequent and in turn Coralstown-Kinnegad delivered fast ball to their forwards which stretched the Shamrocks defence to near breaking point. After Shamrocks failed to register in a few early attacks Coralstown-Kinnegad responded with three points from Jack Torpey, Ger Leech and a great effort from midfielder Eoin O'Brien in the first ten minutes. In between Coralstown-Kinnegad goalkeeper Seán Martin saved well from Killian Butler who was Mullingar Shamrocks best forward on the night. Denis Corroon pointed from a free to open the Shamrocks scoring account and at the water break Coralstown-Kinnegad held a 0-3 to 0-1 lead. Dan Leech blazed wide when presented with a great goal scoring chance when the water was consumed but a Stephen Bracken point added to the Coralstown-Kinnegad total. Lorcan Smyth and Wayne Fox swopped points before Shamrocks produced their best football of the evening. Unfortunately it only lasted for five minutes. Patrick Fagan pointed from play to finish a move that began with a Philly Shaw restart with several players involved including Efe; a great Micheál Curley surge and link with Killian Butler were key in the creation of this score. Another great move followed almost immediately and ended with Brendan O'Reilly crashing to the net to give Mullingar Shamrocks an interval lead of 1-3 to 0-5 that hardly reflected the general play.

Coralstown-Kinnegad dominated from the restart and Darren Giles kicked the first of what were four wonderful second half points from the full-forward. Dan Leech added another point before Denis Corroon levelled from a free in the sixth minute. Darren Giles pointed again, a Killian Butler free equalised before Shane Fleming pointed twice from frees. Giles added to the Coralstown-Kinnegad lead before Shane Fleming's goal ended the game as a contest. Another superb Darren Giles point completed the Coralstown-Kinnegad total. Killian Butler pointed a free and the match ended with Shamrocks attempting to goal from a couple of close range frees which might not prove to be a wise decision with scoring difference in operation. Mullingar Shamrocks failed to score from play in the second half and it is interesting to note that we only kicked a single wide during the hour. Coralstown-Kinnegad's goalkeeper Seán Moran enjoyed the luxury of having seven shots drop gently onto his chest, the kind of semi-back passes that goalkeepers love to get.

However, we are still in the championship and it's knock-out football from now on with Coralstown-Kinnegad in pole position for one of the quarter-final spots.

Mullingar Shamrocks: Philly Shaw; Efe Siode, Eddie Moore (Marc Eivers), Pádraic McKenna; Micheál Curley, Kieran Gavin, Killian Daly; Daragh Daly, Denis Corroon (0-2) [Jordan Warde]; Brendan O'Reilly (1-0), Dónal O'Donoghue, Patrick Fagan (0-1); Lorcan Smyth (0-1) [David Gavin], Killian Butler (0-2), Dean Moore (Darren Keena).

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play